Maryland State Department of Education Superintendent’s Nonpublic Schools Workgroup
State Superintendent Nancy Grasmick initiated the Maryland
State Department of Education Nonpublic Schools Workgroup in August,
1998, to provide an organized forum for addressing issues of mutual
interest to Maryland's public and nonpublic school communities.
The purpose of the Nonpublic Schools Workgroup is to facilitate communication between state and local public and nonpublic school officials on such issues as:
- Services provided to nonpublic school students and teachers through federal programs authorized under:
- the No Child Left Behind Act,
- the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, and
- other federal and state grant programs.
- The administration of the Maryland Nonpublic School Textbook Loan Program
- Nonpublic-school data collection, such as contact information and enrollment statistics
- Other issues of mutual interest identified by group members
The Nonpublic Schools Workgroup also periodically hosts conferences and publishes brochures and other information on the above topics. Information published by the Workgroup will also be available on the Maryland State Department of Education website in the near future.
Membership and Governance
Members of the Nonpublic Schools Workgroup include representatives from each local public school system in Maryland, appointed by their local superintendents, and representatives of the Maryland Council for American Private Education and other nonpublic school associations in Maryland. The Workgroup is coordinated through the Office of the State Superintendent, Division of School and Student Services, and the Division of Certification and Accreditation. A public and nonpublic school representative chosen by the group’s members serve as co-chairs for three-year terms.
The Nonpublic Schools Workgroup meets three times per year at the Maryland State Department of Education headquarters in Baltimore.